SoGS

MemberlistMemberlist    

Crimpshrine....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Bands, Songs, and Albums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skoigurl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Crimpshrine.... Reply with quote

I have one of their CDs ''sound new world being born'' and its awesome! I dunno much bout crimpshrine other than their music in general, which is good enough for me.. But just outta curiosity, were some members in operation ivy once in crimpshrine? I think I heard that somewhere. I wouldn't be suprised their music is alot alike.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea! Another Crimpshrine fan.

You really should pick up Duct Tape Soup. My two favorite Crimpshrine songs (ie my two favorite songs EVER, Trying Too Hard and Summertime) are collected on that one.

OpIvy and Crimpshrine were contemporaries, but they never shared band members. Their music is quite different sounding - OpIvy nailed down the punk+ska sound while Crimpshrine is more pre-emo. Not that I'm big on these kind of labels. Request a few tunes here and hear for yourself!

-Harry
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many websites I've found for the Crimpshrine, so this is pretty cool. I love this band. To me, they deserve nearly as much credit as Op Ivy, and there aren't many bands that can hold their own next to "Sound System". My own suggestion for people who like both bands, pick up the new Lookout! Punk Rock 7" CD. It's really worth it just for Isocracy. "Rodeo" is one of my favorite songs
stuicide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: perfect punk rock Reply with quote

crimpshrine is my ideal perfect punk band. most of their records were only singles, comp appearences and never truly had full length albums that are easily obtainable, such as the lame gig contest. dont forget that most of the original recordings are out of print. fortunately we have the two lps available thru lookout! i recommend the vinyl, mostly because of the raw gritty sound. also they were only together for two years and mostly played basements, backyards, parties, and small clubs anytime anywhere

they were never famous in the stereotypical sense of being famous. i am speaking of as a band. aaron has been a zine writer for the past 20 some odd years and jeff claimed his fame in fifteen, who i think is more popular. however, i prefer crimpshrine anyday.

their t-shirts and wearables are hard tofind unless you make them your self. i do recommend ebay for those who lack creative talent or motivation to make your own crimpshrine gear. buttons are the easiest to find though.

they are the greatest pop punk ever. they gave birth to east bay punk in the eighties, along with mtx before blatz,greenday,isocracy and opiv

pretty mess is my fave song. its the most beautiful love song ever written.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Crimpshrine, I ran across this review at pitchforkmedia, whose reviews I normally enjoy:

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/c/crimpshrine/duct-tape-soup.shtml

Now, I don't offend easily, but c'mon! WTF?!?

-Harry
zretrareo27

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love crimp. anyhow, theres hardly any sites for them unfortuantly. this site in general is one of the best ive ever been to
Sdyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought lint was? correct me if im wrong
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though Lint may have played with Crimpshrine on occasion, he was never a true band member...
OperationGreenIvy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Crimpshrine was S.A.G. (which later became Revolution Through Apathy) back in '83 and '84 Jesse Michaels was in it, but it wasn't much of a band and they kicked him out. Oh, and I have a lot of Crimpshrine stuff on my site and some Op Ivy stuff, how convenient!

http://www.operationivy.org

Check out the huge S.A.G./Crimpshrine bio. That should answer all your questions.
OperationGreenIvy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on the subject of that review... what the fuck? They spent no time at all actually reviewing the CD, they just bitched about what Crimpshrine was. There was one line where they actually described their music, and it was about tuneless vocals and an erratic rhythm section and "tinny guitars." Whatever the hell tinny is. Obviously this person doesn't know shit. The recording quality wasn't great on all of their records, so you can "blame" that. Their guitars were pretty good I thought, and Aaron's not a bad drummer. I dig Paul's bass lines too. But Jeff's voice kicks. It's raw and the lyrics are true. That's how I like it, no pretty boy shit, it's Jeff Ott. But there's nothing tuneless about him.
zretrareo27

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish there were more websites that had information on the band and the members.. it's kinda nice to know a little bit of backround info on stuff like that.
I also have 'sound of a new world being born' , it's one of the best.
I love the heart of the music, the lyrics are so.. motivating, for lack of a better word. and i really wish that there were more places like Gilman, but none could be better!

And thats my two cents worth.
samooo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Crimpshine member Jeff Ott is releasing a book! Reply with quote

Jeff Ott will be releasing a book July 12th caled "Weapons of Mass Destruction." He is now out on a book tour to promote the upcoming release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Bands, Songs, and Albums All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: