SoGS

MemberlistMemberlist    

* the real emo *

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Bands, Songs, and Albums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
just jules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: * the real emo * Reply with quote

So I've never really come to understand what mainstreamers mean when they're talking about "emo" bands. I tuned in to SOG today just in time to hear Soulside rockin out. It was refreshing to hear a band that really represents the emo genre from my SOG perspective. Hearing Soulside also made me crave an earfull of the Holy Rollers...I'll have to go dig up the 7" that the singer gave to me when they played at Epicenter Wink

So the discussion question I generated from this thought is: Does anybody else find the current use of this term by mainstream culture somewhat offensive, confusing, or disrespectful to the emo bands of the mid 80s-mid 90s?

~ just a thought ~
* j u l e s *
nitrostout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: * ummm... * Reply with quote

Ooops! In my stream of consciousness about emo I forgot to login to the site...just to let you know...just jules is also SOG user nitrostout.

* cheers *
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: * the real emo * Reply with quote

just jules wrote:
Does anybody else find the current use of this term by mainstream culture somewhat offensive, confusing, or disrespectful to the emo bands of the mid 80s-mid 90s?

Confusing definitely. When I hear a current band like Thrice or Yellowcard being called "emo", I get confused about my personal definition.

I don't think of it as disrespectful or offensive though- I think of it as ignorant and dismiss it accordingly. Labels are constructs that should be taken with a grain of salt, and "emo" is somewhat broad. I imagine that bands in general would themselves dislike being pigeonholed.

Anyway, that's my take.

-Harry
dee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Emo.. Reply with quote

When I was just getting over my Fugazi phase in the early 90s, I was told they were emo.. emotional.. and today, i guess there is a genre today called emotional hardcore.. basically, if Fugazi is considered emo-- then they're politically conscious lyrics sung emotionally by Guy & Ian and slower rhythms makes them Emo.. who cares..
Leftoverrecords

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very much true. What people call emo today is very ridiculous. I hear people calling New Found Glory emo. Just because you sound like you want to cry and you sing about how much your love life sucks, it does not make you an emo band.

I had my friends listen to the Jawbreaker cd "Dear You". I told them that it was emo, and they thought I was stupid and crazy. They consider Thrice to be more emo than Jawbreaker. What a sad day.
don

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: emo? Reply with quote

The way I see it referring to bands as emo these days is just a way of making music marketable. To me emo was a term that was created to describe bands like Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Soul Side, Gray Matter, etc. None of these groups ever put the label of emo on themselves. The same thing happened with Minor Threat and the Straight Edge movement. I mean, c'mon does Youth of Today, Judge, Bold,Shelter or any of those lame ass Revelation bands sound like Minor Threat? Unsurprisingly, many folks in "straight edge" bands went on to form "emo" bands. I guess it is just easier to sell hoody sweatshirts if young people feel like they belong to a group or movement. Today it is just on a larger scale with teenagers being able to pop into a Hot Topic and pick up everything they need to become, punk, goth, emo, or whatever. Great music stands on it's own without being put in box or categorized.
zretrareo27

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Confusion Reply with quote

I've got to say that the term emo definately has changed.
If you were to say ask a random person age 15-19 today you'd prolly get a reply like:
"Q:What's emo?"
"A: It's those whiney 'cut-yourself' black hair kids who cut they're hair and dress 'gay' who cry about everything.. and the music that sounds like that.

It's really shameful.
Really.

I despise what most termonology has become.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Bands, Songs, and Albums All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: