SoGS

MemberlistMemberlist    

Operation ivy.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Bands, Songs, and Albums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocket LINT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Operation ivy. Reply with quote

Where is this band.....you know, the band that sorta made gilman what it was? The best damn band around in the east bay scene in the late 80s!

Surprised
benji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: op ivy... Reply with quote

they broke up

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op Ivy best band from the east bay in the 80s??
IDIOT.
fukshitup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you arguing the fact that OP IV was the best or that they were in the 80s? If you're arguing that they were the best, it's your opinion, but it sounds like you're arguing their time period. They were only around from 87-89. Last time I checked, that was in the 80s.
HEDGECORE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

op ivy is my fav band look at my screen name

i got some bootlegs. if anyone has any email or im me. cause i still need some.ill buy them off you.
S1L3N7B0B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the unity bootleg...tho i think its an unofficial bootleg. Mad Unofficial bootleg... thats an oxymoron.
skoigurl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love op ivy, my favirot band. They broke up a year before i was born unfortunately.
Davie Ashtray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to put my two cents in. I love op ivy also. So all the naysayers up in their tower can go to hell.
Davie Ashtray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. to any opivy fans out there like me that have lost all their old tapes over the years and are having a hard time getting those near impossible to find recordings like live @blah blah blah or the Basic Radio demo. check out this site http://operationivy.com/ they have alot of stuff. enjoy.
downfall19

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operation Ivy is one of my favorite bands also
OperationGreenIvy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operation Ivy sucks and you know it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, Op:Ivy was great, they really were. But really, there have been lots of REALLY good bands since. Against Me!, for example. They're equally worthy of being obsessed about, but hey: they aren't broken up!
The obsession of Op:Ivy so many years later is so curious to me, a that band sang about the NOW that they were in. Its seems condradicting to be SUPER into them, unless its JUST about the music. Live today, folks.
OperationGreenIvy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PersonWhoIsTooLazyToRegister wrote:
Look, Op:Ivy was great, they really were. But really, there have been lots of REALLY good bands since. Against Me!, for example. They're equally worthy of being obsessed about, but hey: they aren't broken up!
The obsession of Op:Ivy so many years later is so curious to me, a that band sang about the NOW that they were in. Its seems condradicting to be SUPER into them, unless its JUST about the music. Live today, folks.

I hope you realize I was being sarcastic in my post (link in my sig, my screen name, etc.).

You're saying people have an obsession because they like them and consider them to be one of their favorite bands solely on the fact they broke up a long time ago? Just about every band I've been into has broken up by now. So I'm obsessed with every one because I don't listen to "current" music?

Op Iv was something out of the ordinary. Actually, I like all of the bands from the early East Bay Scene about equally- Operation Ivy, Corrupted Morals, Crimpshrine, Isocracy, Green Day, The Lookouts, Mr. T Experience, etc. Actually, I like Corrupted Morals best out of the lot there. Op Ivy's energy in their live stuff (I have the DVD as well) and even in their album blew me away from the beginning. Jesse and Lint were completely as into the music as are many of their listeners, and then Matt is an incredible bass player. Dave's energetic drumming fits right in, and his fills are pretty cool. The lyrics are a totally different story, and Jesse gave all he could for that band, and I think that effort is one of the reasons why I appreciate Op Iv's music the most. The split vocals is pretty cool as well. The aggressiveness is met with catchier songs such as Sound System and Healthy Body. There's just so many great things about the band... how could you not consider them one of your favorite bands after listening?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's music now that ten, twenty years from now people will obsess about and will wish they could see live. We can, and maybe we do. But too many people I know are so into the past and will look through old fliers of Green Day playing with Rancid and the Potato Men and think that would be the end all of be all to see. They are detached from punk and as a living movement, and that kills it really.
Your sarcasm was lost on me becuase I have met WAY too many people who are earnestly in love with the old bands from this region and blind to the music of people in their own towns, uninterested in making music themselves unless it will be "GREAT" (meaning it sounds like something they listen to) and thier obsession is unhealthy. And stupid.
BlueHawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: The Scene Reply with quote

I have to agree with all sides here. As someone who lived through the late 80's, early 90's scene at Gilman and around the East Bay (EB PUNX ROCL) a focus on the past is necessary so we don't forget where we come from but an exclusive focus on the past ignores the reality of today. With all the shit going on in the world today punx should be filled with indignation, rage, ready to tear down the system etc. Sadly, I just don't see it in today's scene - rather I see the commodification by the market of everything we were living for and fighting against. Wake the fuck up! Get mad! Change the fucking world and smash the state - the music is only a medium for the message. Punk is about the music but is also about so much more than that. Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Bands, Songs, and Albums All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: