SoGS

MemberlistMemberlist    

Gilman bands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Bands, Songs, and Albums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudegirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Gilman bands Reply with quote

They say Geen Day belongs to the "second generation gilman bands". But they played there in '88,like Op Ivy,so who are the first generation?
boywithstars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure whoever was refering to "first generation gilman bands" probably meant bands like, Isocracy, Stikky, Corrupted Morals, Sweet Baby Jesus, Sewer Trout, and of course Soup. Basically anyone on the "Turn It Around Comp." I think "second generation" probablly is a reference to the fact that their sound was hevilly influenced by band already playing the Gilman, as well as the fact that most of them had played in other bands there before playing as Green Day. You should check out the "924 Gilman" book.
beewee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for that is when they played at Gilman- the place emptied and everyone went to drink 40's.

I hung out at Gilman from about 1987-1991. In 1992-1993 I saw them on MTV in Chicago and almost threw up I laughed soo hard. Different band- different sound. I wish they could rock as hard then as they do now.

Cheers
gab438

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gilman bands Reply with quote

rudegirl wrote:
They say Geen Day belongs to the "second generation gilman bands". But they played there in '88,like Op Ivy,so who are the first generation?
I search old cd of green day like kerplunk.Where I can find this cd?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beewee wrote:

I hung out at Gilman from about 1987-1991.

Hey, wow, those were the exact years I was in Berkeley - Cal grad?

I saw "Green Day" at this show, which was in 1989. They were called Sweet Children then. Dumb name, huh? The lead singer had long, long hair. Other than the dumb name and the dumb hair, and that they actually sang a song called "Sweet Children", I don't remember much else. I went to see Crimpshrine (and MTX, who were always fun to see).
rudegirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gilman bands Reply with quote

gab438 wrote:
rudegirl wrote:

It's easy to find. If they don't have it in stores,check out the internet. Like www.interpunk.com
rudegirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gilman bands Reply with quote

rudegirl wrote:
gab438 wrote:
rudegirl wrote:

It's easy to find. If they don't have it in stores,check out the internet. Like www.interpunk.com

Wow,wierd. I just looked at Interpunk and they don't have it. They used to have all the old green day cd's. Ep's too. So maby it isn't that easy to find?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Bands, Songs, and Albums All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: