SoGS

MemberlistMemberlist    

Owing up my Dues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zretrareo27

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Owing up my Dues Reply with quote

Gotta say something. I realize theres a helluva lot of people, at least in the area I live in that discredit the band 'Green Day' for selling out.. I don't really see anything wrong with them, as they are one of the gilman streets children that stuck together from 1988 as Sweet Children (well, minus Al) to 2008 as Green Day.. theres something to be said for that at least. I also wanted to say that without Green Day, I would have never found any of the amazing Gilman bands, honestly, I never even listened to music up until I heard Green Day. Then I found bands through them, and I just wanted to say that.
They're the bridge decent kids can find to bring them into a whole new level of music, and of voiced opinions.

=)
Any comments? I don't care if it's critisism, I'm not offended XD
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I can't begrudge them if they are a "gateway drug" to other stuff on this site, and an awareness of the history of the scene.

I saw Sweet Children back in the day and from that time on, I've never been a big fan, musically speaking. Which is fine - there's lots of music I just don't happen to like. The thing that gets to me though, is that they went on record as stating they'd never sign with the majors. Then they did.

That's selling out.

If they hadn't claimed anything, then there wouldn't have been anything to sell out. But it is what it is.

[I'm hoping I'm getting the facts straight here cuz admittedly, this was all a long time ago!]
zretrareo27

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I guess you have a good point. I know they signed with Lookout, is that considered a major label? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. =/ Honestly, I wish every band did it out of their basment like mine did when it was around.. just difficult though.
I do think that they just took a leap when they signed for reprise, which I know IS a major label.. but I also think that the way the world is set up, they had to if they wanted to reach more people. Maybe not.

Did they say they'd never sign? That I didn't know. o.0 That is really lame. I know too much about Green Day, but I definately didnt hear that. Did they have it in writing? You have me interested. XD
Though I do honestly believe that if they didn't make a dime from their music they'd still be playing it. Which is pretty damn tight.

What ticks me off, is that after they hooked up with reprise, they had a contract and reprise pretty much told them to cut their hair (literally) or they'd fuck their band. Which IS lame. But I can't say that I havent played the system for a while to get where I want to go. So in a way, its all selling out.

I think the beauty of early Green Day is the pureness of the music. Its hard to describe what I mean. Either way, I feel I owe them. Hehe.

I just listened to Common Rider. Thats good stuff. Hehe.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could very well be misremembering here and be way off base on my claims and in my stance. But that's how I'm remembering the events back then, what, 15ish years ago?

Hopefully someone can corroborate or even refute...
zretrareo27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you were there and I wasn't. hehe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: