SoGS

MemberlistMemberlist    

5 @!#% years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> SoGS Site & Stream
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: 5 @!#% years Reply with quote

Tomorrow marks the 5th anniversary of the birth of this site and stream. 5 years, 3 jobs, 6 servers, 3 URLs, 2977 songs, 1 million+ web hits, 3 site designs, 11,129 song requests. 5 years.

It's all a bunch of numbers. But, half the age the Web- that's something, don't you think? I never thought it'd be my running lasting web project. And I never thought that people from back in the day, former members of former bands, would come here and find my little tribute. That, and seeing something other than "0 listeners", makes it worthwhile.

I guess I don't have really that much to say. I am suprised at the recent increase in visits (what's up with that poll response count?!? Either there's a lot more people finding the site as of late or you guys really feel strongly about Blink 182!), so I have to say this: it's these numbers that keep me going, knowing that there are other people out there who appreciate this music. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Harry on Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum: couple of weeks ago when I moved servers, I wrote a new streamer to handle sending data to Icecast. I'd been using a heavily tweaked streamcast for a while but it wasn't working right with the new version of Icecast on the new server, so I decided to write my own from scratch.

Not that you care, but it's more manageable for me but maybe it has issues. If you notice anything odd (disconnects? Incorrect track info on the site?) let me know.

One oddity I noticed was that metadata seemed to break with the new system. Turns out that metadata streaming is done differently now with the new Icecast and my usual mp3 player (xmms) doesn't recognize it properly. But iTunes does, and I imagine newer Windows clients do, too. So I stopped worrying about it.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum 2: some other minor tweaks to the site. I'm listing the last 10 albums added to the database in the sidebar now, just you can see what's new even if I don't mention it on the front page. This also appears on the "Top Lists" page.

I'm also linking album pages to the album art scans in the image gallery, where applicable. I'll add more when I think it'll be interesting.

I think there was something else, but I forget.

-Harry
zretrareo27

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is truely a diamond.
Hard to find but beautiful and amazing to have.
None other like it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> SoGS Site & Stream All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: