SoGS

MemberlistMemberlist    

About Comps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> SoGS Site & Stream
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: About Comps Reply with quote

I like comps. They're a good way to find out about new groups and music for me since I don't listen to the radio at all, don't read any music related magazines or sites, and don't follow any "scenes" in any detail. So I pick up comps where I recognize (and like) some of the bands and figure the rest is in the same vein and maybe there will be something new there to discover.

I "discovered" Dillinger Four this way, when I picked up Take Action! based on the presence of a couple of Fifteen tracks. This led me to Hopeless/SubCity, and a bunch of other stuff.

I've picked up quite a few comps lately where a heretofore uknown to me band really jumped out at me: The Crush's You, Me And The Emergency Room from Every Dog Will Have Its Day; The Eyeliners Wishing On A Star from Lookout Freakout 2, and Cursive's Gentlemen Caller from Take Action 3.

I've picked up albums from all three - 2 in the case of the Eyeliners and Cursive - and I have to say that I'm kinda disappointed. Not that I was expecting the same level of brilliance as in those songs, but I found that the rest was just OK. Cursive, in particular, was bordering on mediocre run-of-the-mill indie music.

Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. Still, I think back to Dillinger Four and Co-Ed...

Speaking of Co-Ed, I've also added that Crimpshrine tribute to the 'cast. Now this isn't something that disappointed. I was expecting something kinda lame, but it's f#$!# awesome! To hear all of these different takes on those old classics is pure bliss. Some of them are straight-forward covers, and very true to the original song (for better or worse); others take more liberties with various results.

You gotta listen to it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> SoGS Site & Stream All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: