SoGS

MemberlistMemberlist    

Site upgrade: playlists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> SoGS Site & Stream
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Site upgrade: playlists Reply with quote

You may notice some subtle differences across the site- I've rolled out the most significant update since the site redesign of a year and half ago. Part of it is a re-working of the layout to using tableless/CSS-based design- this will make the site look like crap in older browsers (though it should still work OK). I don't care. If you're using an older browser (v4), you know the consequences of your choice, so you probably don't either.

The other significant change is the addition of a "playlist" feature, something that's been a long time coming and was harder than I originally thought it would be. It's kind of like bookmarks your favorite songs. You can create up to 10 playlists and have 10 songs per list. I chose these numbers to simplify the process of requesting songs within the 10 per/hour restriction. I may change them.

Neat part - other people can check out your list. I see this as a way for all of us to share our tastes and perhaps introduce one another to stuff we may have missed.

In order for this to work, I need to know who you are, so a login is required. I know that sucks, but to help ease the pain, I hooked into the logins for the forum so you can simply use that one. If you've already got a login there, you're ready to go. If you haven't yet, go there and do so.

The way it works- once you're logged in, go to the playlist page and create a list or two. Then, browse around the site and whereever you see the add-to-playlist icon (), click on it and you'll be asked to which list you want to add the song. That's it. Back on the playlist page, you can manage your lists, removing songs, requesting them, etc.

Related to both of these new features: I've introduced a fair bit more javascript to make it all go. For compatible browsers (I test with Mozilla and half-heartedly with IE6), things should be as convenient as I can think of to make. For non-compatible browsers- well, sorry, things probably won't work too well. Download Mozilla (or Moz-based broswer) - you won't regret it.

There's sure to be a lot of bugs that need to be worked out but I've been sitting on these revs for a few weeks now, using them and testing them, and decided to go live with them. Let me know if you find some glitches.

Hope you find this stuff cool.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One comment on the playlist feature - I hope that this doesn't become a tool for people to set up a playlist, request their 10 songs, then leave.

I guess I can't stop you from that.

-Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    South of Gilman St. Forum Index -> SoGS Site & Stream All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: